Posts Tagged "out-of-pocket medical costs"
October 27, 2022
A Start on Estimating Retiree Medical Costs
New Medicare enrollees can expect their uncertain medical expenses to take roughly $67,000 out of the household budget, on average, over the rest of their lives.
Since this estimate is only an average, some retirees will pay less and some will pay much more. And the estimate, revealed in a new brief by Karolos Arapakis at the Center for Retirement Research and based on a larger study, includes only the copayments and cost-sharing charges paid by retired households over 65. It excludes their single largest medical expense – monthly insurance premiums.
The estimate is, nevertheless, a useful benchmark for older workers and retirees who want to get a better handle on their health care spending, which is very difficult to plan for. The study takes into account the unexpected cost of things like a broken arm, as well as the cost of managing chronic medical conditions, which accumulate over the years.
To estimate total medical costs, the researchers linked a periodic survey of retirees that includes out-of-pocket spending to their Medicare insurance records – for Parts A, B and D, and Medicaid – and to a separate data source that tracks private insurance policies such as Medicare Advantage plans and other smaller public and private sources.
The various government and private insurers pay around 78 percent of older households’ total lifetime health care costs, excluding premiums, the researchers found. The retirees pay the remaining 22 percent, or about $67,300 for an older household with average spending for medical care.
However, retirees with the most serious medical problems will spend two times more out-of-pocket during their lives, and relatively healthy people will pay less. …Learn More
September 29, 2022
Healthcare’s Big Bite Out of Retiree Budgets
This year, retirees were jolted by the 14.5 percent hike in Medicare’s Part B premium for medical services. It was the second-largest percentage increase in at least 20 years.
The monthly premium, which rose to $170, will drop to $165 in 2023. But medical care is an expensive proposition that consumes a big chunk of many retirees’ income from Social Security, 401(k)s, and other sources.
According to a new analysis of 2018 health care data, typical retirees had 88 percent of their total income left to buy everything else after paying for medical care. And one in 10 retirees with inordinately large health care costs had 63 percent or less left over for living expenses, said Melissa McInerney, Matthew Rutledge, and Sara Ellen King in their study for the Center for Retirement Research.
Interestingly, Medicare does protect against the larger cost burdens that follow health declines. As retirees age or develop chronic physical or medical conditions, the researchers found, the share of income consumed by medical costs doesn’t change very much.
Medicare covers virtually all retirees, and the lion’s share of their out-of-pocket medical expenses are premiums – for Part B, Part D drug coverage, Medigap, or Medicare Advantage insurance plans. The other medical expenses included in this study were cost-sharing and copayments for basic Medicare, prescription drugs, eyeglasses, hearing aids, and visits to the doctor, dentist, and hospital. Long-term care costs were excluded.
The analysis was restricted to people who have signed up for both Medicare and Social Security.
Paying for care puts the most strain on low-income Americans, many of whom rely almost exclusively on Social Security and have few, if any, other income sources. The exception is people with such low incomes that they qualify for Medicaid; they pay only 4 percent of their income for health care. …Learn More